Super Nationals - Tuesday update
Over on the girls side, Alexandria Najarian, widely considered the best high school player in the state - including by myself - dropped her first match in San Diego. The D1 champion, Mary Hanna - not here - and the runner-up, Lexi Baylis, lost her first match of the tournament. No Oakland County players are seeded. So there are no easy draws.
But most of the area players are still alive, battling it out in the back draw. Here's the latest. I will update this as information comes in.
- Tim Wang battled back from a first-round loss to pick up a win in the back draw. His next match will be against the 16-seed, Alfredo Perez, in the third round.
- Connor Johnston, who opened the tournament with a win before losing his second match, advanced to the third round in the back draw thanks to a walk-over. He'll next face Brandon Yeoh.
- Michael Dube' continued his stellar play, picking up his third-straight win, the last a three-setter over John Zordani, to reach the round of 32.
- Max Fliegner moved on to the third round of the back draw, where he'll take on William Little, the 19th seed, who dropped his opening match as well.
- Jack Murray also advanced in the back draw, winning his second-round match to move on to face Justin Fields in the third round.
- Brett Forman joined Fliegner and Murray in winning Tuesday. He will take on Shane Monroe in his next match in the back draw.
- Christina Jordan came back strong, winning her last two matches in the back draw to reach the third round. She now gets Elizabeth Tedford in her next match.
- Dominique Vasile, after winning her first two matches, fell to the No. 1 seed, Ena Shibahara, in straight sets.
- Sophia Abelson dropped her third-round match to the 11-seed, Jessica Failla.
- Alexandria Najarian won her second match, but fell in her third, ending her tournament.
- Baylis lost to Raquel Pedraza to end her national run.