Playing hockey for a good cause
- Berkley-Ferndale Unified is hosting a tournament on Jan. 3-5 at the Berkley Ice Arena. The field includes Marysville, Port Huron, Bloomfield United, New Boston Huron, Monroe, Macomb Lutheran North, Royal Oak Shrine and the host Bears.
- The Rochester Holiday Showcase is returning this year, on Dec. 28-29. Rochester and Stoney Creek will by joined by Marysville and Utica Eisenhower. Rochester will face Marysville on the 28th, while Stoney Creek will take on Eisenhower. The two Rochester schools will then trade opponents for their games on the 29th.
- Adam Susalla, Luke Braun and Zach Tayler, Birmingham Unified: Susalla and Braun each had a hat trick and Tayler added two goals and two assists as the Unified team crushed Sterling Heights Stevenson 11-4 a week ago Monday.
- Cody Jones, West Bloomfield: Scored four goals against Troy Athens last Wednesday, the last of which was the game-winner in the Lakers' 6-5 win over the Red Hawks.
- Austin Sereno, Waterford Mott: Against his arch-rival, Sereno scored four goals and assisted on another in the Corsairs' 7-2 win over the Captains. His brother, Chase Sereno, had a goal and three assists.
- Nathan Gurzell, Troy Athens: The senior forward scored a pair of goals and assisted on two more in his team's 6-5 overtime loss to Bloomfield Hills United last week.
- Trevor Tierney, Milford: Helped his team cruise past Ann Arbor Huron, 7-2, scoring four goals for the Mavericks. Teammate Dominic Bates added two more in the win.
- Joey Leider, Ian Melrose and Robby Flannery, Berkley-Ferndale: Leider (three assists), Melrose (two assists) and Flannery all scored twice in the Bears big win.
- Andrew Kinney, Novi Detroit Catholic Central: Scored a pair of goals as the host Shamrocks mercied Trenton, 8-0.
- Chris Bradley, Royal Oak Shrine: Bradley scored a pair of goals to lead the Knights to a 4-3 win over Riverview Gabriel Richard last Thursday.
- Will Ulrich, Orchard Lake St. Mary's: Ulrich stopped all 21 shots he face in a 4-0 win over Port Huron Northern.
- Zach Bensinger, Detroit Country Day: Bensinger scored a hat trick, assisting on another goal in the Yellowjackets win over Marysville.
- Eric Rosteck, Walled Lake Central: Rosteck scored two goals to help the Vikings past Lakeland on Friday.
- Ned O'Boyle, Hartland: O'Boyle scored the game-winning goal in overtime to lead the Eagles past Novi in the championship game of the Clarkston Holiday Classic on Saturday.
- Russell Cicerone, Brother Rice: Scored two goals and had two assists in the No. 1-ranked Warriors' 9-0 rout of Marquette.
- Brad Merola, Troy Athens: Scored the Red Hawks' last two goals as they eked out a 3-3 tie with Oxford on Saturday.
- Cody Jones, West Bloomfield: Yet another hat trick for Jones, leading the Lakers past Troy, 5-2.
- Jacob Saroli, Birmingham Unified: The goalie stopped all 24 shots he faced to pick up the shutout for the Kings.
- Austin Lukaschewski, Bishop Foley Unified: The junior scored five points - three goals and two assists - in his team's 7-2 win over Macomb Lutheran North Saturday.
- Michael Romund, Cranbrook-Kingswood: The senior notched his second hat trick of the season, as the Cranes crushed Grand Rapids Catholic Central, 9-1, on Saturday.
Upcoming coverage on MIPrepZone
Some of the games we're planning on coming out to this week include:
Oxford vs. Lake Orion (Joe Louis Arena)
Country Day vs. Utica Eisenhower (Joe Louis Arena)
Hartland vs. Lakeland
Rochester vs. Clarkston
Cranbrook vs. Brother Rice
Farmington vs. Farmington Unified