The hockey never stops
For those who did not see, our hockey preview ran in this past Sunday's paper. If you didn't, here are links to my Top-10 teams and capsules on all our teams.
Each week I'm hoping to be able to catch up on the previous week's happenings. I'll try to do that every Monday or Tuesday. I'm a bit late this week. It's my chance to highlight the performances of some of the best players in the county. Looking back at last week, here are some of those top performances (based on games we covered and calls/emails we received from county coaches):
- Matt Kerchner, Lake Orion: The last of his three goals helped the Dragons eke out a tie with Howell last Thursday. The goal came with just 49 seconds left in the game.
- Zack Segall, Berkley-Ferndale: Came through with a pair of power-play goals in his team's 6-1 win over Bloomfield Hills United Friday night.
- Michael Romund, Cranbrook: The Cranes' senior forward scored a natural hat trick, helping them to a 5-2 win over Catholic Central Friday night. The win kept Cranbrook unbeaten in the MIHL.
- Justin Zabinski, South Lyon Unified: Sophomore goalie Justin Zabinski stopped 24 of 25 shots he faced in his team's 4-1 win over Novi Friday night.
- Sebastian Stankiewicz, Country Day: Finished with a hat trick (and five points) in leading the Yellowjackets to a 5-1 win over Grosse Ile on Wednesday. Also scored the game-winning goal in his team's 3-2 win over Monroe St. Mary's Catholic Central on Saturday.
- Nolan Johnson, Lakeland: He scored twice to stake the Eagles to a 6-1 lead - an eventual 6-3 win - over St. Clair Shores Unified last Wednesday.
- Chase Smith, Bloomfield United: The Chargers needed every one of Smith's three goals in a 3-2 win over Royal Oak Thursday night.
- Cooper McLean, Farmington: Had a hat trick, leading the Falcons over Birmingham Unified, 4-1, Thursday.
- Eric Stanis, Farmington Hills Unified: He scored a pair of goals in his team's 4-1 win over Clarkston Saturday night.
- Nolan Arbour, Stoney Creek: Though the game was a tie in league play, Arbour's second goal of the game helped the Cougars beat Lake Orion, 2-1, in overtime Saturday.
- Adam Dennis, Walled Lake Central: The senior scored a pair of goals in his team's 2-1 win over rival Walled Lake Northern Saturday night.
- Matthew Manning, Brother Rice: Had a pair of goals in the Warriors' 4-2 win over Trenton, which you can watch HERE.
- Steve Erwin, Shrine: Stopped all 18 Bishop Foley shots he faced in his team's 6-0 win Friday night.
- Connor Gaffney, Catholic Central: One of six different Shamrocks to score in a 7-1 win over Warren De La Salle Saturday night. Gaffney had two.
- Austin Movinski, Cranbrook: Picked up the shutout in his team's 2-0 win over St. Mary's Saturday. He made 21 saves.
- Austin Sereno, Waterford Mott: Scored once in each period for his hat trick in a 7-5 win over Walled Lake Western Saturday night.
In our latest poll on MIPrepZone.com - Which Oakland County hockey team has the best chance of winning a state championship? - Birmingham Brother Rice edged out Cranbrook as the team most likely to capture it all.