Finally getting down to business on the courts
|Country Day's Haley Mullins hits a shot during|
her No. 1 doubles match - with partner Ellie
Miller - Tuesday against Mercy.
I made it out to Country Day on Tuesday, where the Yellowjackets and Mercy tied, 4-4. Country Day flexed its muscles in singles, winning at 1-2-3 singles. But the Marlins bit back in doubles, winning at 2-3-4. I'm never a fan of ties in tennis, but it was a non-league match, so it's all good.
Marina Selenica, Madelyn Karoub and Jane Ziecik all won in straight sets at the top of Country Day's lineup. They adjusted well to the less-than-ideal, windy elements.
- Over at West Bloomfield, the Lakers doubled up Andover, 6-3. The hosts came to play in singles, sweeping the Barons. Freshman Raven Neely picked up a nice win over Kerry Hu at No. 1 singles. Big win for seeding purposes at the OAA Red tournament. No. 1 singles is extremely deep in the Red, with Clarkston's Lexi Baylis, Lahser's Mollie Fox leading the way. Neely, Hu, Seaholm's Labina Petrovska and Rochester Adams' Halle Hyman will also be in the draw.It really is going to be a great finish to the OAA Red season. Clarkston's 5-4 win over Seaholm last week was one of many great matches that have been and will be played in the league this season. Seaholm beat Troy 5-4, Troy beat West Bloomfield 5-4. Clarkston has yet to face Troy, or West Bloomfield. Seaholm and West Bloomfield will see each other soon. But the real fun will come at the league tournament.
- North Farmington is off to a hot start in the OAA White, jumping out to a perfect 3-0 record. The Raiders have looked good in wins over Stoney Creek (6-2), Harrison (6-2) and Rochester (6-2). But their biggest tests may still remain. Groves and Troy Athens are still lurking. And like the Red, the White is sure to be a great tournament. Another deep league with some great players.
- On Wednesday, weather permitting, I will be traveling out to Seaholm, where the Maples will be hosting Birmingham Marian. I've got the two teams ranked 3-4 in the county. Marian is 4-0 overall and coming off a nice, 5-3 win over Mercy on Monday. Seaholm's lone loss was the aforementioned 5-4 defeat to Clarkston. I'm looking forward to some great matchups.I really wish these two teams would play a fifth doubles, because in my estimation, this should probably end in a 4-4 tie. The way I see it, each team splits in singles and doubles. I'm guessing at least three, perhaps four matches, go three sets. No. 3 singles and No. 1 doubles should be good ones.
- On Thursday, Bloomfield Hills Andover and Lahser will face off one last time - head to head. Next year, Bloomfield Hills High School - the Black Hawks - will form. And all the talent from these two fine teams will combine into one. I'm hoping to take in this last dual. Fox and Hu will see each other for the first time this season. But it might not be their last. They may see each other at leagues, regionals and maybe even at states. Next year they'll be teammates.
- Once again, I want to thank each and every one of you coaches (or parents) who are sending in results. We've had so many matches and tournaments called in over the last week. It's really great to see all the names in the paper and on MIPrepZone. In case you missed it, some of the results can be located in our nightly roundups (see below for the links to the stories - then scroll down to the tennis agate)
West Bloomfield 6, Andover 3
North Farmington 6, Farmington Hills Harrison 2
Cranbrook 9, Livonia Ladywood 0
Seaholm 7, Lahser 2
Country Day 4, Mercy 4
Troy Athens 8, Berkley 0
Royal Oak 6, Southfield-Lathrup 1
Rochester 4, Troy Athens 4
North Farmington 6, Stoney Creek 2
Lahser 6, Adams 3
Marian 5, Mercy 3
Berkley 7, Walled Lake Central 1
Notre Dame Prep 7, Regina 1
Royal Oak 5, Southfield 3
Lakeland 7, Walled Lake Western 2
Sacred Heart 8, Divine Child 0
Essexville Garber Tournament
North Farmington Invitational
Labels: Andover, Clarkston, Halle Hyman, Jane Ziecik, Kerry Hu, Labina Petrovska, Lahser, Lexi Baylis, Madelyn Karoub, Marian, Marina Selenica, Mollie Fox, North Farmington, Raven Neely, Seaholm, Troy Athens, West Bloomfield