Blogs > In the Zone

Jason Schmitt is the editor of MIPrepZone.com, the high school sports website for The Oakland Press. He has served as the sports editor for a number of newspapers, including the Daily Tribune in Royal Oak and the Macomb Daily in Mount Clemens. In his time in the industry, he has covered every high school sport and has served a a beat writer for boys and girls soccer, boys and girls tennis, hockey, wrestling, bowling and cross country.

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Call me a reality nerd

I love me some sports. Unhealthy foods are high on my priority list, too — unfortunately.
I'm not one to watch a ton of TV, at least not in the sense that I have a bunch of favorite shows I have to tune into on a nightly basis. But there are a few that I DVR or watch On Demand. "The Walking Dead" is a must see for me. So, too, is "Survivor." "Modern Family" is good to catch up with every few weeks.
Dan Gheesling on Big Brother 10. Photo courtesy of
www.onlinebigbrother.com
I almost hate to admit it, but another show I have to watch is "Big Brother." I arrived late to the party, having watched seasons 8-13 — just missing season #7, the All-Star edition. Unfortunately, the show only appears during the slow, summer season.
When it started this past week, I was pleasantly surprised to see Season 10 winner Dan Gheesling back on the show, as a coach. If you don't know, Gheesling is a teacher and assistant football coach at Orchard Lake St. Mary's.
It took me awhile to figure out which school he was a coach at during his run to the win in Season 10. But this year, he's proudly displaying his Eaglet gear on TV.
He and three other mentor/coaches picked teams, much like we all did on the playground in elementary school. The coach whose player ends up winning the $500,000 first-place prize takes home $100,000 himself/herself. I don't necessarily like Dan's chances as one of his three players were evicted in the show's debut episode.
But don't count him out. During Season 10, it looked like he would be evicted in Week 2 before laying low and going all the way.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home