Blogs > In the Zone

Jason Schmitt is the editor of MIPrepZone.com, the high school sports website for The Oakland Press. He has served as the sports editor for a number of newspapers, including the Daily Tribune in Royal Oak and the Macomb Daily in Mount Clemens. In his time in the industry, he has covered every high school sport and has served a a beat writer for boys and girls soccer, boys and girls tennis, hockey, wrestling, bowling and cross country.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

An oversight on my part

As much as it grinds me to make a mistake, or an oversight in this instance, at least this blog offers me a chance to try and make amend for something I missed while putting together my 2011 Boys Tennis Preview.
I take great pride in attempting to rank the best teams and players in the county. I speak to a number of coaches, research previous-year's results and accolades and even try to go out to preseason practices or early-season matches to gauge the talent. As difficult as it is to rank the singles players, trying to configure a Top 5 list of the best doubles teams is equally difficult.
In piecing together my five best teams this season, I left out the pair of Matt Kuntzman and Kento Mizusaki of Troy. The senior duo return after an outstanding 2010 season which saw them put together a 22-9 record and an appearance on the first-team all-state squad. Watch for them to do some big things in the Oakland Activities Association Red division this year and perhaps make a deep run in the Division 1 state tournament.
And for the record, I'm predicting big things for Oakland County teams in 2011. As I stated in my brief appearance talking tennis in the latest MIPrepZone Weekly (allow video to buffer and forward to 5:33 remaining in the show), I think we're going to see Novi Detroit Catholic Central and Birmingham Brother Rice battle it out for a state title in Division 1, and Birmingham Detroit Country Day and Bloomfield Hills Cranbrook Kingswood once again finish 1-2 in Division 3.
Check back here for more tennis talk throughout the season, and if you have a comment about this or any other blog post, please don't hesitate to leave one. You can follow me on Twitter @jasoneschmitt or better yet, @MIPrepZone, where I often post about all of our fall sports.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home